What folks are saying about Tom’s poetry and performances.
Thanks Tom! You made a valuable addition to the group. I hope you’ll consider coming back.
- Dale Page, Cimarron Cowboy Music and Poetry Gathering Co-Organizer
Thank you so much for being instrumental in making 2015 a "very good year" for our 27th Durango Cowboy Poetry Gathering. I'm so glad you were part of our Gathering.
- Board VP
Tom is a great poet and an outstanding MC.
- R.J. Vandygriff
2014 CMA of TEXAS Hall of FAME INDUCTEE
2013 Academy of Western Music Best Western Male Vocalist
Thanks again for the delightful poetry hour last Thursday at the Burning Boar. We love your stories and your presentation style. Thank you for being you! You are, indeed, an Oregon treasure!
- Lottie S.
Thanks so much for sharing your poetry with us. We are so fortunate to have such a talent right in our own backyard!
- Julie W. Program Librarian.
It’s was a great program tonight. You did a fantastic job. We got a very good turnout too. People really enjoyed your performance and the feedback showed. Someone wrote, “something I never heard before, was great”. Another one, “Just wonderful, not enough space for all the happy adjectives”. Let’s keep in touch and we can do it again next year.
- Ning W. Adult Services Librarian
Thank you so much for your program at Tigard Public Library last night. My husband and I really loved it! You have a true gift for both music and poetry, as your recited poetry is music!
- Elizabeth & Keith O.
Really enjoyed hearing your poetry at the event for the Portland Mounted Police. My 13 yr old grandson didn't think he'd like it but he was really in to it. Thank you!
- Mary K.
I can understand why Rick Huff gave your Horses and Happiness CD such a strong recommendation. Your readings have a delightful rhythm to them, your diction is excellent and making the recording at a house concert gave a nice feel to the whole set. And I really appreciate your gentle humour.
- Colin Thursby, England
Tom Swearingen was excellent as our “First Wednesday Lecture Series” speaker. Not only did he enlighten most of us about cowboy poetry but he recited some of his poems. It was an enjoyable, interesting and entertaining evening.
- Oswego Heritage Center
Only a true poet can bring the blind to see and this is what you've done in your Poetry.
- Audience member, Beaverton History Center
Rhymes, rhythm and wit come so easily to Swearingen that it inspires laughter that is accompanied by awe. He makes even a city boy want to saddle up and ride toward the western stars.
- Cliff Newell, Portland Tribune
Thank you for your amazing performance last night. I could not be more pleased with the event.
- Julie Wickman, Tualatin Public Library
Hey Tom....wanted to let you know we finally got to listen to your CD on our last trip...we find that's when it's best to listen to new CDs without a bunch of distractions. Anyway, we loved it! You have done a super job on it and I can't wait to hear the next one.
- Terri and Steve Taylor of "Stampede"
We had Tom Swearingen as our speaker today. Bottom line: He was excellent. With his topic, we really did not know what to expect, but he was very entertaining, polished, professional, etc. All of us present thought he was one of the best speakers we have had. I definitely recommend him.
- Program Chair, Wilsonville Rotary
Yesterday you did a great job and a good time was had by all. I’ve been asked to have you back for an encore performance!
- Tualatin Rotary Club Program Coordinator
Just listened to "Horses and Happiness." Great job. I really like this CD. I'm debating between "Bombproof Pinto Mare" and" Cowgirl From Nantucket" for my show Wednesday! I hope you sell thousands!!!
-Totsie Slover, Real West from the Old West, KOTS AM1230, Deming, NM
Listened to your new CD yesterday!! It's a keeper for sure. Really like your light-hearted delivery. Will be one to travel down the road with!! Thanks.
- Farmer Dave Fulfs, 2013 Columbia River Cowboy Gathering “People’s Choice Musician Award” winner.
“If you didn't make it to the holiday party, then you missed out! Go look up Tom Swearingen Oregon Cowboy Poet's Facebook page and get his CD!”
“It was great, and a joy to listen to!”
“Tom, you hit the nail on the head so many times with your selections tonight, and it was a pleasure to share the evening with you and Carla!”
“I sure enjoyed the cowboy poet, Tom Swearingen, he was really entertaining.”
"It would be fun to have Tom present at a state ride or at the State Round Up!"
- North Valley Chapter Oregon Equestrian Trails member Facebook posts following annual dinner performance
(Regarding Tom’s “Horses and Happiness” CD)…
”Excellent production! Graphics, sound quality, etc. are top notch!”
- Jessica Hedges, Cowboy Poet, 2010 Academy of Western Artists Cowboy Poetry CD of the Year and 2010 Western Music Association Top 5 Finalist for Cowboy Poetry CD of the Year
Tom Swearingen Lights Up the Meeting with Cowboy Verse. We were delighted with his homespun yarns and Cowboy Verse. Using words with whimsy, Tom opens the door to the “Cowboy” heart and frame of mind giving all of us a peak in.
- Lake Oswego Rotary Club Newsletter
What a wonderful poem! (When a Horse Hoof Hits the Ground)! Thank you for sharing this one with us!
- Shantell Ogden , Nashville performing songwriter and recording artist. Shantell’s songs have received airplay on more than 145 commercial country radio stations nationwide.
We really love hearing you recite your poetry. Also the back stories and getting to know a little about your life and attitude is the real plus in our book. I think the back stories really bring the poetry to life and you really touch your audience with your candor.
- Dave and Patti Hancock, house concert attendees.
“If you are looking for a program that is a change of pace, very entertaining and informative, I recommend Tom Swearingen. Tom is a poet, and writes and delivers cowboy poetry. He has won awards for his writing, and is very entertaining. I highly recommend Tom for a program everyone will enjoy.”
- John Amond, Rotary International District Speakers Bureau Chair
Cowboy Poet Tom Swearingen shined his amazing talent reciting five poems including his award winning "Cowgirl from Nantucket"! He closed with a poem recalling the selling of items from the family farm decades ago in the Midwest. Very moving! Tom will forever be our Poet Lariat!
- East Portland Rotary Club Newsletter
Your poetry is Awesome!!!
- Dave "Farmer Dave" Fulfs, Western music singer, songwiter. Fellow Columbia Gorge Cowboy Gathering performer.
Tom! It was great to meet you and hear you. We look forward to hearing you more!!
- Terri Taylor, of the multi-award winning western music duo “Stampede”. Dubbed “The Epiglottis Goddess” by Ranger Doug of Riders In The Sky. Fellow performer at the Columbia Gorge Cowboy Gathering.
Hey Tom, It was a treat to meet you and to hear you perform. You have great stage presence and great material too. I look forward to our next visit on the cowboy trail.
- Lauralee Northcott, of Horse Crazy Cowgirl Band, two-time winner of the Western Music Association Harmony Trio of the Year. Fellow Columbia Gorge Cowboy Gathering performer.
I really enjoyed your “sale bill” poem. You do a good job. Keep it up.
- Yvonne Hollenbeck, 4-Time Western Music Association Female Poet of the Year
Enjoyed your work. Partial to “Replanted Roots”.
- Ken Cook, 2010 Academy of Western Artists Male Poet of the Year
Your poem ”When a Horse Hoof Hits the Ground” is a fine story with a very interesting structure which I couldn't resist. I was reminded that Badger Clark said (when I knew him back in the early 40s) that the sound of hoofs was the rhythm of his poetry and you've caught up that spirit in your poem.
- Clark Crouch, Author, Poet, Editor, two-time winner of the Will Rogers Medallion Award for his cowboy poetry books
We were pleased to have as our speaker cowboy poet Tom Swearingen – Author of “There Once Was A Cowgirl From Nantucket” – classic, fun, and entertaining cowboy (and cowgirl) poetry. He made us laugh with his lyrical style and stories of old west heroism and life on the horse.
- Rotary Club of Vancouver Metro Sunset
St. Paul Rodeo's Wild West Art Show provided lively entertainment this evening, and the fun duo of western singer Andy Bales and cowboy poet Tom Swearingen will be back tomorrow to share more tales of the West and the colorful folks that live here with stories, poetry, music and song. These guys are a treat to the ears, and you'll leave laughin'!
- 2013 St. Paul Rodeo
Your writing style is unique and witty and you recite with an honesty that adds to your stage presence.
- Wayne Nelson, Cowboy Poets of Idaho Hall of Fame Inductee.
Cowboy Church was great. Tom Swearingen shared a fantastic poem titled “Save” that he just wrote; anyone that hasn’t heard this guy, well, y'all are in for a treat.
- Duane Nelson…National Cowboy Poetry Rodeo 2nd Place Finisher.
What a great line-up for our Cowboy Gathering, it was a great show. Thanks to: Miss Bailey Vernam, Wayne Nelson, Duane Nelson, Robin Dale, Tom Swearingen and Andy Bales.
- 2013 Hells Canyon Mule Days/Max Walker Memorial Cowboy Gathering
We appreciate Tom Swearingen’s tribute poem to the women of rodeo and the memory of legendary bronc riders and performers of yesteryear. We hope you enjoy the poem as much as we did.
- National Cowgirl Museum and Hall of Fame.